Why You Shouldn't Be Skipping Meals

2/14/2017 11:48:00 am



Everyone who knows me or has spent even just an hour in my company will know that I LOVE FOOD! I am love eating, I am always eating, and when I am not eating, I am planning what I'm finna eat later. Trust!

Yesterday, instead of snacking every two hours like my body is used to, I decided to only eat breakfast at around about 8:15am and then only lunch at 2pm. By the time I got to my food, I was in such a state that I literally just inhaled it in one go. Immediately upon returning to my desk to go about my daily social media managing business, I felt that something just wasn't right. I felt too full, like my stomach was finna implode and I was nauseous.

It wasn't too long after that, that I found myself making runs to the toilet in hopes of alleviating this pressure in my stomach. Nothing seemed to work apart from stopping for a nap on the lunch room sofa for a few minutes. It was only when I got to boot camp that all my lunch finally decided to make the great escape and up it came. 😖 Long terribly over- informative story short, I knew it was because I skipped a few meals. Here is what science says happens to your body when you skip meals:

  • Blood-sugar levels drop (if it's breakfast you are skipping, they never get out of the gate at all):  Glucose is the fuel your body runs on and if it's not circulating in the right amounts, every organ is affected. 
  • Body shifts into starvation mode: without an influx of new calories your system shifts into starvation mode, slowing your metabolism down, and eventually when you do eat it makes it hard for your body to burn off the food efficiently. 
  • Brain: without a steady accumulation of nutrients your intellectual and emotional functioning begins to change, and you are now prone to be foggy and easily irritable. #hangry 

Bottom line: Don't Do It - skipping meals is DEFINITELY not the way to achieve whatever fitness/ health goals you might have. Rather eat small healthy meals throughout the day; rich in protein, whole grains, and non-saturated good fats. And HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE! 💦💦💦








Follow me on your favorite social media sites:





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

Popular Posts

Featured post

I Keep These 5 Things in My Gym Bag

Subscribe